Search This Blog

Friday, December 3, 2010

The Boy That Lost His First Tooth

Tonight, I had a totally awesome experience.

It was the last First Friday Indie Market in Downtown Greensboro, NC.  A very busy one, as it was tied in with the Festival of Lights and more holiday events rolled into one, with streets closed and lots and lots of people.

Towards the end of the night, a little boy came into my tent with his parents.  He was being held in the arms of his mother, and he started telling us about the tooth he lost.  He is five and a half years old, and he had just lost his first tooth about thirty minutes prior.

The boy was very proud, and as the parent of a six year old myself, I know how important that moment is to a child.  I told him I thought he was very lucky to have lost it on such a special night, that he would always remember losing his first tooth at the Festival of Lights.  I told him that I thought he deserved something special for being such a big boy, and I would like to give him a ring to show him how proud I was of him.

I brought the boy to the table where I was selling my jingle bell rings, and I let him pick one.  His favorite color is green, and he was looking for one in that color.  I only had two in green, and one of them (thankfully) fit his finger.

The boy and I talked for a few more minutes.  I told him about my daughter, and that she now has her third loose tooth.  He was fascinated, and excited that he would be like her when he was six and would be on his third loose tooth.  His mother prompted him to thank me and give me a hug, which he did, and we wished each other a Merry Christmas.  I could hear him excitedly talking about it as he walked away with his father.

His mother stayed to thank me again for giving him the ring and making it so special.  She said that earlier that day, they had collected some clothes and food for a family that had had a house fire this week.  The family lost everything, and the Father did not make it out of the house.

The boy who had just lost his tooth had insisted on giving all of his money to this family.  His mother said that he emptied his piggy bank and said that he wanted to help, too.  She praised him, and told him that when you do good things, good things will happen to you.

And she felt like I was part of the good that was coming back to this little boy, who gave his entire piggy bank to a family in need, and who had just lost his first tooth.

What a feel good moment.  I am so thankful to have been a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. Great story, Jessica! Hope you are having a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete